|
|
|

|
Amis Stewart
Goldingham, of
Goldingham
|
|
|
Registered: The
International Register
of Arms, 22nd July 2026.
Registration No. 0808
(Vol. 5). (Lordship &
Barony Register)
Arms:
Ermine, a bend wavy
Gules, a crescent for
difference.
Crest:
Upon a Helm with a
Wreath Argent and Gules
a lion's
gamb erect and erased
Or. Mantled Gules
doubled Or.
Motto:
Deus Major Columna.
Assumed:
England, late 20th
century.
|

|
The arms, Argent, a
bend wavy Gules were first
borne by Alan
Pictaviensis, thereafter
named de Goldingham of
Belstead in 1206. Burke's
General Armry records the
arms as Goldingham,
(Barnham, co. Norfolk, and
Balsted, co. Suffolk) as
Argent, a bend wavy Gules.
Crest: A lion's gamb erect
and erased Or.
No definate date can be
assertained for the
assumption of these arms,
differenced from those of
Goldingham
of Belstead, as Mr.
Goldingham's father
unofficially bore the arms
Ermine,
a bend wavy Gules, a
crescent for difference,
quartered with that of
Jaques (his wife and 1st
cousin) early in the 20th
century.
The motto, "Deus Major
Columna" is a Latin phrase
that translates to "God is
the greatest of supports."
The Manor of Goldingham
(also known as Goldingham
Hall) is located in the
parish of Bulmer, Essex,
near the Romano-British
site at Gestingthorpe. It
is a historically rich
estate dating back to
before the Norman Conquest
and associated with the
prominent Anglo-Norman
Goldingham family.
In 1066, before the Norman
Conquest, the Saxon manor
was held by a freeman
named Godwin and valued at
60 shillings. Around the
turn of the 11th century,
Norman baron Robert Malet
granted the estate to a
knight named Sir Hugh who
adopted the local name as
his surname, establishing
the Goldingham family
lineage. The family
retained the manor and
expanded their estates,
with Sir William de
Goldingham (born 1236)
holding significant lands
in Essex. William de
Goldingham's Effigy is
in a Chantry Chapel in
All Saint's Church,
Rushton,
Northamptonshire. By
1315, the manor was owned
by John de Goldingham, who
held it partly of the
honour of Eye and partly
of the Earl of Norfolk. In
1400, Richard de
Goldingham sold the manor
to the Appleyard family.
When the manor came to the
market in 2025, the family
of the armiger were
pleased to aquire it to
return ownership to the
Goldingham family after
over 600 years. The
present Lady of the Manor
is Sara Goldingham, widow
of the late Amis Stewart
Goldingham.
|
|
|
|
|
NEED
AN HERALDIC ARTIST?
|
|
Contact us
for
|
|
Further
Information
|
|
|
|
|
The
Armorial Bearings of
Amis Stewart Goldingham
|
|